Subject: Dreamcast Dialup NAT
To: port-dreamcast@netbsd.org <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/30/2001 12:14:32
I'm digging up old news here, but I have a bit of a different spin on
it.  I know there are licensing issues with the 56k modem built into the
dreamcast, and I'm not proposing we could do anything with it.  However,
I use dialup through an external modem on an i386 NetBSD box. If I
purchased the BBA, I'm wondering if I could use the it and the Serial
port found at the back of the DC to make a dialup NAT router?  I imagine
with 16 megs of ram, and that fairly speedy processor (my nat is a
486/33 ;), I could have it port redirect to my other machines internally
for my mail server and web server (and maybe even run thttpd + cgi (or
php4, though that's not really lightweight) on the dreamcast to setup
some web based management system. I know I'm thinking way too ahead
here, as there are a few potential problems that I need you guys to
clear up:

Is there a kernel driver for the serial port?
Does it work when the BBA is active, or are they mutually exclusive?
Can the DC be kept on "forever", or does it have heat issues after a few
days of activity?
Is there a pinout diagram for the serial port so I can make a cable for
my modem?

Thanks for listening to me dream :)

--

Pat Wendorf