Subject: Re: What do you think?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: None <David@ixibbs.iximd.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/30/2001 01:05:40
First, IDE Doesn't require (the way I've been told) an adapter in the
way that SCSI does.  That IDE is linked to the bus directly.  I think
this is wrong myself though.

If you look at this schematic:
http://members.nbci.com/_bitmaster_/dc/dc-ide.pdf
You will see that the only thing he has hooked up to the DC-Port is an
IDE port, which means that IDE is in there if you want to try an atapi
based device.  It also has some 5v and 3v lines coming out of the
DC-Port which means you could power a ZIP drive (Why I say this is
because my SCSI zip drive is External with a 5 volt power adapter. AND I
also seen IDE ATAPI BASED ZIP drives that go in computers in a 3 1/2 in.
bay which means ANYONE who wants to try would most likely succeed.

The problem that I see is that Harddrives need a bios of somesort to
actually run (unless I'm wrong).  Atapi drives like CD-ROM's and ZIP
drives don't need a BIOS on the controller.

Can someone tell me how you have the GD-ROM driver working?  I mean is
there a way to find out if it is SCSI or IDE? (It has to be one or the
other doesn't it)

At this site he also has a Pin-Out of a SoCalled CD-ROM port:
members.nbci.com/_bitmaster_/dc-index.htm

Would this be the actual port that the GD-ROM is hooked to?