Subject: RE: Visual Firewall; was: Activity
To: 'Peter Swimm' <kradlabs@texas.net>
From: Cain Brian-BCAIN1 <Brian.Cain@motorola.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/27/2001 10:41:08
Half-assed...you said it!  Your effective bandwidth would drop to whatever the link cable supports, which might be somewhere around serial port limits, maybe 115 kilobits or so?  I can only imagine what a pain it would be to write software to handle that kinda situation, too.  If the link cable supported bandwidth great enough for some kind of clustering technology (though I don't know if clusters can pool devices...), it *MIGHT* work.

I'm not trying to rip on anyone, but why not just go out and get a used pentium, a pair of PCI NICs, and slap linux/BSD/*nix on there?  If you have a broadband internet connection and a burner, you can download the ISOs for free.  Linux 2.4 comes w/netfilter (aka iptables), and BSD has SPF (? -- stateful packet filtering...maybe I'm making that one up...), so now you can NAT all your home machines, including your DC.  A used pentium on ebay will probably cost less than $50.  The NICs, $5-15 each.  Way better than $100 DCs and $60-80 BBAs, right?  I must admit, having a DC as your firewall is high on the coolness factor, but probably low on the realism factor.

-Brian