Subject: Sony announce official Linux for PS2 [Almost off topic, but not q
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Munn <RichardM@codemasters.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/26/2001 16:53:46
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/26/1340202&mode=nested

[quote]

"Sony officially announced their port of Linux to the PlayStaion2 game
console. In the press release
<http://www.jp.playstation.com/linux/press.html> they mention that they were
moved by demand the community petition <http://www.fakeroot.net/ps2linux/>
(see this story <http://slashdot.org/articles/01/03/06/158259.shtml>)
demonstrated with over 6000 signers. The PS2 Linux Kit
<http://www.jp.playstation.com/linux/> page is currently only in Japanese
and there's not much info there yet other than some pictures. But according
to it, a Beta version is going to be sold to 1000 members of the community
in June for about $200. The Kit is going to consist of an external
HDD/Ethernet unit connected to the PCMCIA slot, found on early Japanese PS2
models, a VGA adapter plus USB Mouse and Keyboard. Kits for oversee models
are supposedly in planning. The kit will include a complete Linux/X11
environment with all sources, technical hardware manuals for the EE, GS and
vectorunits plus a low-level API and Mesa drivers for graphics. " Won't work
for us unfortunate american PS2 junkies. But its a sweet step.

[/quote]

hmm - maybe sony are going to release something that might make me consider
a PS2 worth buying, at last ;-)

--
Richard Munn | Programmer | HooDoo Studio
 richardm@codemasters.com | http://www.codemasters.com

the system manager.