Subject: Re: nfs troubles
To: Joey Bratton <joey_b@gmx.de>
From: John M. Choi <johnchoi@its.caltech.edu>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/16/2001 01:02:53
For linux, I used the DHCP mini-HOWTO and the NFS-HOWTO (should be in your
/usr/doc/Linux-mini-HOWTOs or Linux-HOWTOs or equivalent). I haven't tried
the NetBSD diskless howto yet.

Make sure DHCPD is installed as outlined in the howto, and the dhcpd.conf
file I used is: (Use the appropriate IP address, MAC address, and
directory that contains the bsd files.)

# dhcpd.conf
#
# Configuration file for ISC dhcpd (see 'man dhcpd.conf')
#
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.141.255;

subnet 192.168.141.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.141.1 192.168.141.2;
   }

host dreamcast {
  hardware ethernet 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ff;
  fixed-address 192.168.141.1;
  option root-path "/usr/share/dreamcast/bsd";
}

For my /etc/exports, I used: (Again, make sure the IP address and
directory are correct.)

# See exports(5) for a description.
# This file contains a list of all directories exported to other
computers.
# It is used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.

/usr/share/dreamcast/bsd 192.168.141.1(rw) *.*.*.*(rw)

Make sure the ip address of the ethX connected to the dreamcast and the
dreamcast have the same subnet as defined by the "option subnet-mask" in
your dhcpd.conf. (I think I had problems with this.)

I think that was all, though I'm not sure since it's been a while since
I've had time to work with this.

If you have more problems, it might be helpful to see what your .conf
files look like.

I hope this helps.

John