Subject: RE: Compiling under FreeBSD and Devolping a GUI system
To: 'Steven Edwards' <Steven.Edwards@knowledgesentry.net>
From: Cain Brian-BCAIN1 <Brian.Cain@motorola.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/10/2001 11:45:35

Dreamcast online.
>To compile NetBSD for the dreamcast I have to run either Free or NetBSD
right?

I would assume it would be easiest if you had NetBSD, but cross-compiling on
FreeBSD has been done (see list archives).  I see no reason why you couldn't
do it on slackware (or cygwin, or any other OS, for that matter), but it
could be more of a pain than it's worth.  As long as you have all the source
that you need (SH-ported BSD libraries, etc.), and a SH3/4 C compiler, you
should be all set.

>I have 2 slackware boxes now so I figured I would move my workstation over
to FreeBSD if I need to.
>Also I was looking at Microwindows and saw that there was support for
FreeBSD and SH4/linux so I was wondering what you guys >though the odds were
of me getting it to compile for NetBSD and run on the dreamcast using the
Frambuffer.
>Any advice would help, also is there a HOWTO or somethign similar for the
Dreamcast/NetBSD port?

http://www.wrong.org/index.html is a step-by-step guide that may help.
http://www.roadsign.com/dc/ has some (burning software specific) CD images.

Marcus' site (http://mc.pp.se/dc/), if you haven't seen it yet, has a great
deal of DC resources (though I think it tends to be general purpose info,
not necessarily BSD-related).

-Brian