Subject: Re: UNIX standard editor
To: Daniel Seagraves <dseagrav@sakura.lunar-tokyo.net>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/10/2001 16:11:24
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 uug@www.dataintoaction.com wrote:
>
> > Indeed, as Marcus notes, 'ed' is the standard UNIX editor.
>
> Ed is for wimps! Give me TECO or give me death! ^_^
>
> (And I bet nobody here knows what TECO is, either.
>  Looking it up on the web is cheating!)

	Which answer is prefered:

VMS TECO?
RSTS TECO?
RT TECO?
PDP8 TECO?
various TECO clones on early personal computers that predate the Intel/Micky
abomination? Too bad DEC rainbow's weren't priced/advertized better!
etc., etc.

Actually, a version 5 UNIX RK05 pack, a whole 2.5M per pack, I stumbled across
had a teco editor on it although I doubt it was official. Version 5 as in two
versions before version 7 UNIX(tm) by the way. Maybe I'll find the 11/45
front panel and post a picture somewhere; nothing like a 4 bay PDP-11/45
firing up to gladden the hearts of power utilities everywhere! B^).

Anyways,

	Do I get a cookie? B^).

	Probably time to move on. The editor wars were prehistoric when I
	first lurked on proto USENET back in 1984...

	More back on track:

	Has anyone made an uber ISO that can boot and go
	stand-alone to single user mode yet? Maybe NFS /tmp, /var/run and
	/home?

	-Rob