Subject: Re: Compiling under FreeBSD and Devolping a GUI system
To: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
From: Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/10/2001 16:51:30
For one thing, emacs is NOT standard in any Sun installation. vi is the
standard, for almost all unices I've ever seen. The last thing I want on a
server us a bunch of 25M emacs processes eating all my resources because
people it can't just edit text like a TEXT EDITOR is supposed to do.

(1) sean@homer: ~ $ uname -a
SunOS homer 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80
(2) sean@homer: ~ $ which vi
/bin/vi
(3) sean@homer: ~ $ which emacs
no emacs in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin
/usr/X/bin /usr/ccs/bin /etc /usr/ccs/bin /opt/EMCpower/bin /etc
/usr/local/bin

Secondly. I have a web browser. I have a mail client, and I have a fscking
aim client. I don't need some over-bloated editor to do it all for me. I
want to EDIT TEXT, not browse the web or read my e-mail. Lastly, is your
web browser written in emacs? Prolly not.

And seriously, shouldn't we be talking about NetBSD on the Dreamcast and
not wanking over who's preferred editor is better? Editors are like OSs,
they all suck, the one you like and use sucks less. Now shut the hell up
and go code or something.

...back to lurking...

Sean Lutner		  | www: http://www.rentul.net
e-mail: sean@rentul.net   |

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein