Subject: Re: X Server
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: None <dvogel@intercarve.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/10/2001 17:50:53
Quoting Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>:

>   dvogel> How far would you guys say we are from getting an X server
> running on the DC?
>
> Well, there is a working framebuffer device at least.  I suppose we'd
> need a mouse driver too.
>

>   dvogel> How well suited is the Power VR2 for X? After reading the
> texts on Marcus's
>   dvogel> site, I would assume it would work pretty well.
>
> The problem is that to really use the PVR features, you'd have to
> rewrite most of the X server, since the rendering model is totally
> different.  The normal Xserver implementation renders stuff by drawing
> in place in a frame buffer.  The PVR hardware can't do that, so you'll
> have to use the CPU.  Which works, but it sloooow.
>

>   // Marcus

How complicated is the X protocol? I couldn't find any RFC-like links from
X.org. Does anyone on the list have any good ones?

I have been thinking of writing an OS from scratch, which also functions as an
X server. In fact ... it would pretty much be just an X server.

Anyone have any advice? Comments? Flames are fine but keep them off the list,
please.

(btw, Marcus, sorry not checking the TO: address before sending)

--Drew Vogel

This mail sent through IMP: webmail.intercarve.net

This mail sent through IMP: webmail.intercarve.net