Subject: Re: Getting the NetBSD to boot with DHCP
To: Rory Savage <rsavage@crosswinds.net>
From: Tyrel Beede <tb90@mail.csuchico.edu>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 04/07/2001 22:18:26
>   I got one of the latest DiscJuggler ISOs burnt to a CD.  The dreamcast
> loads it just fine, and my keyboard and BBA are detected.  What do I need
> to do to get DHCP working?  At the root-device prompt, I enterned in
> `rtk0' and I could see that it was seeking for a DHCP server.  Since I
> have not set one of those up on my LAN, what do I need to configure to get
> this working?  Please let me know.

see http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/ - for all the
information you need to net the dc booted over a local area network.  I have
found that the i386 details tend to be the most relevant to the dc project.
dhcp will allow the dc to boot a netbsd kernel and durring the boot process
aquire an ip address and access to a root filesystem.  This means that with a
cd-r you can have just the boot-loaders and the kernel, then access to a r/w
nfs file system via the network.  If you are going to be changing kernels
often then it would be best to build a cd with the ip_slave program available
at mc.pp.se/dc.  This program allows you to grab the kernel over the network
too.

Tyrel