Subject: RE: Modem Support [was ]
To: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
From: Jonathan Vaughn <biosehn@airmail.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/27/2001 11:34:31
At 04:30 PM 3/27/01 +0200, Marcus Comstedt wrote:

>  David> 	Is the copyrighted code on a sega CD? If so would it be possible
>  David> 	to have NetBSD read it from there? Alternatively... if sega were
>  David> 	willing to release the restrictions on the compiled microcode it
>  David> 	could be distributed with NetBSD.
>
>The restriction is not imposed by SEGAs, but by Connexant (previously
>Rockwell).  Also, the GDROM filesystem is by design unable to mount
>the high density part of a GD (this is to keep the w@rez d00dz away),
>and even if it wasn't, the scheme you suggest would be awkward at
>best.
>
>  // Marcus

I don't think it needs microcode, only, we just need to know what the
registers
that control it are. After all, it IS a hardware modem. And there are docs
available for the hardware interface, but not for the register-level
interface,
so unfortunately, we'd have to blindly read/write the ports till we figured it
out (or alterternatively, reverse engineer the sega modem access code, which
would be a pain in the @#^*).

-JV
Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/