Subject: RE: Modem Support [was ]
To: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/27/2001 15:02:36
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Marcus Comstedt wrote:

>   Dave> Quite frankly I'm a novice, so please bear with my ignorance...
>
>   Dave> But what is the likelihood of seeing modem support in the future? I did read
>   Dave> somewhere that specs were unavailable or hard to come by on the hardware - I
>   Dave> assume this poses a problem?
>
> Pretty much nil.  The modem needs copyrighted microcode to drive it,
> and there are no specs available that would allow you to write your

	Is the copyrighted code on a sega CD? If so would it be possible
	to have NetBSD read it from there? Alternatively... if sega were
	willing to release the restrictions on the compiled microcode it
	could be distributed with NetBSD.

> own microcode.  Besides, modems are not all that useful anyway.

	To someone with a Dreamcast, keyboard, TV, and phoneline they
	could be pretty handy :)

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --