Subject: Re: Greetings (Beta
To: Richard Munn <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Nelson <eric.nelson@sega.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/23/2001 03:15:51

------=_NextPart_000_010E_01C09D46.ECC3CB60

Richard,

You've made a good point, but to be quite honest with you, you'd be =
quite surprised on how many DC users on our network have used PC's, and =
many of which are saving their pennies to get one. They see PC IRC as =
something much more than DC IRC (which it is).=20

I am sure the NetBSD team has had the opportunity to play with the =
PlanetWeb browser, and hopefully have tried the chat client. It is =
similar to... well... garbage. But when I first started with ircII and =
BitchX, it was a tremendously easy transition. The biggest difference is =
the fact that it isn't graphical, and it doesn't have a names list on =
the side of the screen (something that PlanetWeb users dating back to =
the Netlink days) have had to rely on.

Basically, my whole intent is to provide a much more flexible IRC =
client, to give the DC users a client that PC users can use with the =
greatest of ease. Granted that the whole NetBSD-Dreamcast project just =
isn't about IRC, but IRC is again a strongpoint for Dreamcast users, I =
believe that if the users got their hands on ircII, Epic, or something =
of that nature, you'd be surprised the turnout. It's an acquired taste, =
but that, with all the rest of the functionality of NetBSD, will =
convince these console-spoiled users that there IS life after Microsoft.

There is potential here, and I like it! :)

Eric Nelson
IRC Technical Administrator
Sega.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20