Subject: JAVA VM instead of X server?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/13/2001 10:40:12
	Would it make sense to try and get one of the open source JAVA VM's
	to do graphics/audio on the DC rather than using an X server and
	audio server?

	Since cell phones and such use JAVA VM's for their graphic system I
	was thinking it might be better suited to the DC's 16M memory
	footprint than an X server.

	Maybe code up the VM to use wsdisplay, wsmouse, wsjoy(?) and then
	drive graphics/audio via JAVA apps rather than X apps?

	I've used X on one of my 16M NetBSD/Amiga's and it ain't what I would
	call "snappy" although the X clients themselves work well when
	displayed elsewhere...

	So, any opinions on using a JAVA engine for DC graphics/audio apps?

		-Rob