Subject: Re: Possible uses?
To: Patryk Jankun <pja@cybernet.com.pl>
From: Harry S. Hawk <habs@panix.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/10/2001 00:09:29
Although I may lose my lurker status...

One idea for the VMU might be to hold various user or device
profiles. Each memory segment would "configure" the DC to become a
particular appliance. Esp. if in the large memory device mentioned
earlier, the segments are truly user selected, you could have 1 CD and
the user can push a button to "boot" it up into any one of dozens of
"appliances."

If you want to run a network MP3 player you use one segment, if you
want a web surf you do an other, or even load specific environments..

One for the kitchen with your cooking links programmed in, and one for
your HO Train Hobby, Etc., one for rock and one for opera, one for
Kerberos/IPsec VPN tunneling back to your home and an other "child
proof" environment for minors and senile ex programmers...

If the segments are not user selected then you could perhaps make the
selection of segment based on which port it is plug'd into. Port 1 is
a MP3 player, Port 2 is a DOS counter-attack system, Port 3
automatically orders a pizza.

The Meta point here is while a true hacker doesn't need such
appliances the rest of the world does, and perhaps even other members
of your family. If you have kids you could restrict their web usage
(until they do their homework) just by withholding a particular
VMU. You could also make something that you could leave running freely
at a party for folks to check their email with out worrying someone is
going to FLAME whitehouse.gov at your expense. (You could use PGP to
sign your configs so someone else could not easily use their own own
VMU.

If you ran a small hotel or cyber cafe, or even a youth group, you
could easily restrict usage based on what someone had paid for. You
could do that with a PC but it would be harder, more expensive and
easier for someone to circumvent.

Other uses would be the electronic picture frame
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/glance/-/photo/B00004SDFH/o/qid=981780754/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_p_1_1/107-0415421-3683702/)
and radio (http://www.kerbango.com). Both of these cost about 300.00
far more than the Dreamcast. You don't even need the BBA or the
keyboard. Buy a $99.00 DC, give it to your Grandma, and when she turns
it on, her TV set becomes a "virtual" picture frame... Or set it up so
that uncle jack who lives in Miami can "automatically" listen to
Chicago sports radio...

I could go on with lots more ideas, but I think this is getting off
topic from the purpose of the list.. I'd be happy to talk off-line
with anyone who wants to hear more ideas, or discuss merits. If Sega
can keep making these devices, (I know they wouldn't), this could
become the ultimate low cost open source based appliance. There are 6
billion people on this planet and most can't afford a $1,500 or even
$500 PC. I bet they could afford a $100 one that with a few extra did
enough to make a difference in their lives.

Yours,

Harry S. Hawk
http://www.hawknest.com/
<habs@panix.com>