Subject: Re: Possible uses?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Richard K <gh0strider@my-deja.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/09/2001 11:14:41
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 daniele@ncssm.edu wrote:

> So, what other uses can this be put to?  Geek coolness is well and good, but
> I'd probably end up putting the $150 toward a nicer next computer upgrade,
> which is currently looking expensive...

How well that $150 is spent is really more a function of what you
choose to do with it...  If you want to run it like you would a PC,
say like the DNS server or firewall or something else on it, then I
would think that money would be better spent somewhere else -- like
on a really cheap PC.

The value (in my opinion) of the Dreamcast goes something like this:
1.  It has good audio (I hate PC audio anyways; too much noise)
2.  It has good video (+TV out)
3.  It has a CDROM
4.  It's small and wouldn't particularly intrude on an entertainment
    system setting

Basically, if you're not really trying to take advantage of these
points, lets face it, you're better off just buying a cheap PC.  On
the other hand, if you're trying to get a PC which has this kind of
form factor while also having good A/V capabilities and a CDROM,
you're going to wind up spending a lot more money, and the DC might
be a better alternative.

Again, this is just strictly my opinion on the matter.  What I would
like to use my DC for would be:

-What it was originally intended to do -- GAMES!  I bought my DC
 yesterday and the first thing I'm going to do is drop DreamSNES on
 it.
-MP3 player
-Video player
-Browser
-System monitor/remote terminal

I do have one question though...  How fast can the DC+BBA really move?
I would like to be able to play mp3's and video files which are
stored remotely, but I'm guessing there's going to be some compromise
between how much you can push through to the DC, and how much
compression the DC is going to be able to handle...

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/