Subject: Re: Help with windows iso building
To: None <daniele@ncssm.edu>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/09/2001 18:49:09
>>>>> "daniele" == daniele  <daniele@ncssm.edu> writes:

  daniele> I still haven't got serial cable, and work has been a lot so not yet.  I'll
  daniele> let you know when I do.  Thanks for all the help.  Also, as a random
  daniele> question, what is the state of support for the memory cards?  couldn't these
  daniele> provide an easy place to store at the least the relevant config files?
  daniele> Maybe any other stuff?  I believe they are 16MB, which seems enough to be
  daniele> quite useful.  Flash memory has its issues, of course, but hey...

The SEGA memory cards contain 128KB, of which 100KB is available for
files.

I am planning to make devices and filesystems for the visual memories,
but I haven't started on that yet.  Here's something to think about
btw:  How should the minor device numbers work for the memory cards?
You probably want to code in the port and slot number statically, so
that a card in position B2 will always have the same device node for
example.  So there are 4 ports and 6 slot numbers to code in.  What's
more though is that each card can theoretically contain 256 partitions
(although I haven't seen one with more partitions than 1; maybe this
was intended for the Zip drive?).  This gives at least 6144 different
minors.  But if I read the source correctly it looks like NetBSD can
handle up to 1M minors, so I guess that won't be a problem.

So, maybe (partition*24)+(port*6)+slot?  Or is it better to have
bitfields, like (partition*32)+(port*8)+slot?  Some other order?  (I
think partition should go at the top anyway, since you'll only be
using partition 0 in practice.)

  // Marcus