Subject: Re: Possible uses?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Florian 'Proff' Schulze <florian.proff.schulze@gmx.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/09/2001 11:16:05
> and then the interesting, but hard, one:
> standalone video player.  It certainly has the power to play VCDs, can we
> get a CD that boots a player into memory and can then be swapped out, or
> maybe just plays off an NFS mount?  Also, does the SH4 have the horsepower
> to decode DivX?  My PII-350 does, but I don't really know how much memory is
> needed and how the floating point capabilities of the SH4 stack up.  Also,
> you need good graphics support -- resize needs to be done in hardware. can
> the video chip do that?

I'm currently working on a mpegplayer, but I have to do quite some optimizations
to get enough speed. I think it should be possible, but it's quite some work to
do. The resizing is the easiest part, because the PVR chip supports yuv textures
so even the color conversion is done in hardware.

Proff
--
Florian 'Proff' Schulze - florian.proff.schulze@gmx.net
Homepage:               - http://proff.fly.to