Subject: Re: Network Boot Kernel
To: wallshot <wallshot@twistedgeeks.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/07/2001 11:53:30
wallshot writes:

> I am new to NetBSD, and I was looking on www.netbsd.org for info on having
> a kernel boot to the network but keep encountering info that is specific
> to one architecture. I have Andrew's kernel booting (discjuggler image)
> and detecting everything which is quite exciting but it does not seem to
> attempt a bootp querey and network boot, and winds up unable to find root
> filesystem. Is there something I need to do with the keyboard on bootup
> to pass specific parameters, and if so can somebody point me to a URL
> with the options?

Well on the server side most architectures are similar.
Here is what I added to my /etc/dhcpd.conf:
host dreamcast {
        hardware ethernet 00:00:de:ad:be:ef;
        fixed-address dreamcast;
        option root-path "/u1/dreamcast";
}
(you need dreamcast in /etc/hosts, or use the IP, or a dns entry)

Then you just grab the hpcsh snapshot, and untar it under /u1/dreamcast.
Next you will want to run 'sh MAKEDEV all' in /u1/dreamcast/dev.
You need to export /u1/dreamcast, or /u1 at least, to the dreamcast.
/u1	-maproot=0 -alldirs	dreamcast (or the ip address)

Add to /etc/rc.conf (possibly depending on your version of NetBSD):
	dhcpd=YES
	nfs_server=YES
	rpcbind=YES

> I am somewhat familiar with FreeBSD, but still feel lost diving into
> netBSD trying to understand bootp(dhcp?)/nfs root filesystem setup as I
> haven't done this in fBSD or Linux yet.

The generic "diskless" documentation is applicable, so check it out.
Once you have the stuff setup, at the "root device" prompt on the dreamcst
you will just put in 'rtk0' and it should go for it. :-)

-Andrew