Subject: What bus is on the hand controllers? G2?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/03/2001 12:49:52
	While spelunking for Dreamcast parts at the local video game outlets
	I spied a couple of devices that hang off the main hand controller(s).

	A VMU storage unit, a buzz/vibrate device, a microphone, NASTY looking
	guns (we could use them to shoot down DDOS attacks?! B^) ) and memory
	storage without the screen and buttons. Are these accessed through
	the G2 bus or something else?

	The VoIP app in the recent dreamcast magazine looks especially
	interesting since it would be cool to use the box as a audio
	conferencing device or Multicast receiver! You need the microphone
	from the "Seaman" game; Seaman vendor is supposed to be comming out
	with a standalone mic package this month but with the announcement
	I'm not sure if the vendor will bother. B^(.

	Anyways, I was curious how the devices in the hand controller
	communicate with the main unit; I assume some sort of serial bus
	protocol.

	The VMU's have their own CPU so it might be cool to run a micro-SETI on
	them when the Dreamcast is doing UNIXical things! B^).

	Anybody know of a hack to increase main memory from 16M? While my
	NetBSD/Amiga works fine in 16M I assume it will be quite squeeky for
	a RISC CPU. Hmmm, I hear the original genesis used Amiga derived
	ASIC's, any of that line make it in to the Dreamcast? I saw one
	development kit that was AmigaOS based.

	Finally, anybody know of an effort to get the arch-rival PS2 running
	NetBSD? It has USB and firewire ports but I hear the hardware guts
	are less friendly than the Dreamcast to OS's.

	That should be enough questions to start tangential conversations!

	-Rob