Subject: Re: Production dates of Dreamcast units capable of booting NetBSD
To: None <c.allen@lancaster.ac.uk>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/02/2001 15:20:13
> > 	For those that HAVE booted NetBSD from a CD, what is the production
> > 	date listed on the back of your dreamcast?
>
> I haven't booted netbsd, but I have booted other things successfully from
> CD-R.

	I guess this is the main concern since John stated no CD-R disk
	could be booted/used/read on the crippled Dreamcasts.

> > 	Anyways, if everyone who sucessfully boots off CD could drop a
> > 	line to the list then we could slowly figure out what model
> > 	Dreamcast's can be used for NetBSD.
>
> I have a British dreamcast which I bought at the end of December 2000.  I
> can't actually find a production date anywhere on the outside of the case.

	Hmmm, the manufacture date might be one of the US anal retentive,
	consumer protection, retail sales laws for anything sold within
	the borders of dub-ya land; similar to la-la land although a bit
	more dusty originating from Texas and all... B^).

	Anybody know if the serial numbers have a date or other always
	increasing code in them so we know that serial number XYZZY and
	above is CD crippled?

		-Rob