Subject: RE: Dreamcast Lives On
To: Gary <gary@spiritwars.com>
From: Byrd, John <john.byrd@segaamerica.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/25/2001 11:12:15
> As the rumors have suggested, Sega confirms that it may mutate into some
> other hardware incarnation. In case you haven't come across this already,
> here are more Official statements from Sega of Japan, Europe and America.
> Does our friend from Sega have any additional commentary? We promise not
> to post it on every newsgroup and website in the biz. ;)

Sigh.  The rumor mill has been working overtime on us recently, and because
Sega (and every other technology company for that matter) doesn't comment on
rumors, the rumors have gotten worse and not better.  Everyone wants to seem
like they're the first one "in the know" about the videogame industry and
about Sega specifically, even at the expense of being wrong if necessary.

Dear 7334 kIdZ: we are not giving up on the Dreamcast.  We are going to make
a whole bunch of Dreamcast games this year.  We are not going to stop
selling the Dreamcast for the foreseeable future.  We are thinking up a
bunch of new hardware designs around the SH-4 and PVR2 chipset.  We have a
prototype set-top box that looks pretty cool.

My specific advice: unless you've heard it directly from us -- meaning from
www.sega.com -- take it with a small salt shaker.

John Byrd
Sega of America Dreamcast