Subject: Re: piracy
To: Remy Saville <remy@home.com>
From: Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/10/2001 22:53:48
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:32:54PM -0800, Remy Saville wrote:
> Last year just over 2 billion premade CDs were sold and 3
> billion blank CDs were sold.  Thats a pretty strange ratio...

I take great issue with what you're trying to say here.  First of all,
can you give a reference for your numbers?  Secondly, with the popularity
of Napster and MP3s these days, I would *assume* the majority of these
sales were in fact for CD copying, MP3 burning, or just plain old data
backup.  I've used my CD-RW for backing up my filesystems for years now.
I've also used it to snapshot things like FreeBSD's source tree, Linux
install discs, etc.  I'm sure some people even pirate commercial software
using these CDs, and I mean non-gaming software.  So before you try to
represent the entire game theft industry with CD-R sales statistics,, please
narrow down what each CD-R was bought for or rethink your use of the
statistic in the first place.

--
Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org> or <smkelly@slashnet.org>
   PGP KeyID: 77042C7B        http://www.sean-kelly.org