Subject: RE: Greetings
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Salvador_Fandi=F1o?= <sfandino@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/10/2001 19:50:57
Hi!

> Now, assuming your earlier statement that the new DC units will be unable
> to read ANYTHING from a standard CDROM means even under program control
> (I.E. isis it really unable to read a CDROM, or does it just refuse to
> boot from them?), then it would be "safe" to simply add a serial-line
> bootloader/debugging program (Like the VAX console debugger, or the PDP11
> serial consoles) into the formware.

I think that with the broadband adapter coming, a BOOTP client included in
the firmware or in a GD-ROM will do the work too.

BTW I don't know if SEGA can see that there is a potential market for
hobbyist willing to pay for hacking (NOT pirating) tools. It's a shame that
a powerful system like the DC ends been exclusively used for teenagers to
play games.

A long time ago, when the Amiga computer was the killer game platform, one
of its best-selling software titles was AMOS, not a game but a BASIC
interpreter focused around game development that lots of hobbits use to make
their own games. Some of the games created were just crap, but a lot of them
where very good or just addictive (simple games like tetris clones,
pindballs, sokoban, arkanoid, etc.) People exchange their games or release
them as shareware, mags include them on their cover disks and all of them
contributed to create an active comunity around the Amiga (not related in
any way to pirating!).

So, please SEGA (John!), don't see us as obscure people for which you are
doing a favour giving some support, see us as engineers, programmers, system
administrators, OS experts and clever people with LOTS of money :-) that
want to do more than just playing games with this little box you have
developed!!!

Thank you.

Bye,

 - Salva