Re: NetBSD/cobalt 5.1 restorecd

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Izumi Tsutsui
<tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
>> The new RestoreCD no longer boots in Parallels on OSX ..
>> which means I will have to break the old IBM Thinkpad T21
>> out of hibernation to try 5.1 on the Qube2.
>>
>> Parallels v6
>> OSX 10.6.5
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>
> - How does it "not boot"?
> - Does any older one work?
> - Did you try ACPI options in boot menu?
>
> Anyway restorecd uses plain NetBSD/i386 GENERIC kernel
> so it's general NetBSD/i386 issue, not restorecd specific...

Interesting.  With the new parallels I also could not get the new
restore CD to boot.  Unfortunately, the Parallels diagnostic
information is unfamiliar to me; the VM starts, the screen goes black,
tries to start again, and then the Parallels "It's broken! Would you
like to send a report?" screen drops down.

I tried several of their available pre-sets, including for FreeBSD 8,
with the same results.

Creating a new VM in VirtualBox, however, worked fine.  I typed
"NetBSD Cobalt" in to the name box and it automatically selected
NetBSD as the OS type.  I de-selected the hard disk, added the boot
ISO and it came right up.  I did not try an install, but it was at the
login prompt and clearly running.

HTH,

Byron