Current Pkgsrc on OLD current NetBSD Cobalt Failures

I've had two failures trying to update my pkgsrc packages for my Cobalt RaQ2 that I thought were worth talking about on these lists:

emacs: Emacs fails because they've decided to obsolete pmax machines (their configure script considers netbsd--mipsel == pmax). I've patched that test and emacs built just fine, but I haven't had a chance to install & test it.

ImageMagick: This is the problem that's really giving me trouble. wand/convert.c has a huge function, and the compiler I'm using (from NetBSD 3.99.20, a 'current' from June 2006) fails to generate something it can assemble because the code it generates tries to branch too far and the assembler generates the following error messages:

/var/tmp//ccVsYTny.s: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp//ccVsYTny.s:42317: Error: Branch out of range
/var/tmp//ccVsYTny.s:42509: Error: Branch out of range
/var/tmp//ccVsYTny.s:42699: Error: Branch out of range
/var/tmp//ccVsYTny.s:43454: Error: Branch out of range
/var/tmp//ccVsYTny.s:43647: Error: Branch out of range
/var/tmp//ccVsYTny.s:43832: Error: Branch out of range

There are work arounds on the net to restructure the code, or edit the assembly, but I was wondering if anyone using either a newer release (4.x), or newer current could try compiling ImageMagick and let me know if the newer system/compiler solves the problem?

Also, would it be possible for me to install a newer compiler from pkgsrc to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Robert