Re: restorecd, fdisk problems on cobalt

tokyo# ls -Rli /stand
total 13
1713 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   1024 Dec 23 05:56 boot
  11 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  12288 Apr 15  2001 lost+found

/stand/boot:
total 328
1714 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  35179 Dec 23 06:19 boot.gz
1714 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  35179 Dec 23 06:19 vmlinux.gz
1714 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  35179 Dec 23 06:19 vmlinux_RAQ.gz
1714 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  35179 Dec 23 06:19 vmlinux_raq-2800.gz

boot.gz is just there for convenience.. the rest of the files are
hardlinks back to it.

-=erik.

> Hmm I have wiped the disk completely and then I reinstalled using
> my bootable moded restore cd, It works and booted correctly.
>
> there is one things I'm not sure to understand, in the linux partition
> holding the vmlinuz* kernels that boots the netbsd kernel.
>
> There is "by default" this boot.gz which is very small, I remember that
> before you could load up kernel directly, it seems that it's not the
> case anymore and that my previous hanging issue was due to the fact that
> i changed all vmlinux* kernel links to my new generic cobalt kernel
> instead of boot.gz..
>
> Is it  cobalt "bios" -> ext2fs partition /boot/boot.gz -> wd0a:/netbsd now ?
>
> so to install a new kernel i could replace the /netbsd like in any x86
> installation ?

Yes, once you've got the vmlinux* stuff set up with the contents being
that of boot.gz, the system will allow you to replace /netbsd like a
x86 type system.

--
"Too bad $VOLUNTEERS don't get their act together and provide
$SOLUTION_TO_VERY_DIFFICULT_PROBLEM in a decent fashion"  -- from IRC,