Subject: Re: restorecd, fdisk problems on cobalt
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Auge <eau@phear.org>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/29/2007 21:32:26
--------------enig9FECB54ABBD8311697846DA2

Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> eau@phear.org wrote:
>=20
>> is that ok ?
>=20
> I'm not sure if it works, but modifying scripts in
> restorecd/data/cobalt/install/scripts/ and then
> executing restorecd script is more straightforward.
>=20

indeed, for some reasons I thought it would replace my scripts
by the original ones, don't know why.. thanks.

> Anyway I don't know if your modified scripts are okay.
>=20

Well for now the cd boot i've changed install.sh to do ${SH} -i
in order to have a shell prompt, so they are executing correctly
at boot.. if I made errors, I will be able to correct easily.

>>> fdisk(8) has less sanity checks and it might get the error by
>>> divide-by-zero if your disk has inconsistent geometry numbers in MBR.=

>> hmm so shall I clear the MBR and restore it from another machine to be=

>> able to use it with the restorecd ISO i created ?
>=20
> If you can get a single user prompt on nfsroot,
> you could clear it by "dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/rwd0d count=3D1" or =
so.

# dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/rwd0d count=3D1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.003 secs (170666 bytes/sec)
# fdisk -S /dev/wd0
[1]   Trace/BPT trap          fdisk -S /dev/wd0
#

Still not good, MBR cleaned, but still crashing..

what else could it be?

>=20
> fdisk(8) seems problematic on non-x86 ports (which don't have BIOS valu=
es),
> but I have not tracked what triggers it.

I try to look at fdisk srcs ... any starting point is welcome anyway.

> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui

Thanks,
Regards,