Subject: Re: Off-Topic: Other RaQ Products
To: John Schutte <john@gnusnotunix.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/21/2007 15:55:25
On Dec 21, 2007 3:29 PM, John Schutte <john@gnusnotunix.net> wrote:
> I recently came into about 15 assorted RaQ1-4 servers, mostly Raq1/2.  The
> 1's and 2's all use NetBSD happily, and are being meticulously put into a
> rather simplistic cluster for mail and web filtering.  Which leaves me with
> about 5 RaQ 3's and 4's to play with.  My options are sadly limited, since
> I'm mainly a linux guy, the temptation is to tear all my hair out trying to
> put debian on them.. but, I was wondering if anyone has a similar solution
> to the NetBSD/cobalt recovery cd for the i386-based Raq3+?
>
> I don't mind a challenge.. so putting it on the hard way wouldn't break my
> will.. but if it works out, I could have another 15 raq3/4/550's to
> install.  I want something I can just roll them out with.
>
> Sorry for the off-topic post.

It's not that off topic :)

There was a guy that either posted here, or maybe i386 that he was
doing some work to get NetBSD working on the i386 based cobalts. He
got it booting and of course, once it boots and discovers hardware,
it's all downhill from there.

If I had more time I'd search on it, but I don't right now.

I'd love it if someone pulled together a page on how to get NetBSD
working on these machines. A faster i386 based Cobalt would solve some
problems for me right now.

Andy