Subject: Re: lsof crashed 4.0_BETA2?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/16/2007 20:48:17
On 9/16/07, Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't have any information on this one
> other than lsof crashed my 4.0_BETA2 Cobalt Qube2.
> And it was compiled for 3.1, and I got the warning just
> before the machine became unresponsive.

My first thought is that this may either be an alignment issue given
that the versions of gcc are different between 3.1 & 4.0, library
differences, or both.  Different alignment, different arguments, a
different argument order, or simply fewer or more arguments would all
result in the misinterpretation of a return address.  An incorrect
return address would send execution into the weeds.

If you see the same behavior after (re)compiling everything with 4.0's
gcc, I would consider this as being ominous.

Jim