Subject: Re: 4.0_BETA2 restore CD's
To: list NetBSD Cobalt <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/10/2007 03:11:44
On 8/10/07, Andreas Fuchs <fox@tcnet.ch> wrote:
> ...the nightly 4.0_BETA2 restore CD's are now available as .torrents on:
>
> http://monkey.aironaut.ch/cobalt-torrents/

For those interested in accessing these restore CD's via ftp, another
site will be available within the day.

These ISO's are meant for testing, so the instructions.txt file
automatically displayed on the i386 host still show NetBSD 3.0 since
these restore CD's are based on Rowdy's NetBSD 3.0 restore CD.  See
the restore CD how-to for more information as to how these ISO's were
constructed:

http://netbsd.org/ports/cobalt/restorecd-howto.html

Upon the first reboot, you will see a message stating that no bpf
device is found.  This is a known issue which was identified some time
back:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2006/03/12/0005.html

As stated in the above message, the fix is simple;  while as root, go
into /dev, delete the existing devices, & build them again:

# cd /dev
# ls -l b*
crw-------  1 root  wheel  0, 18 Aug  9 02:49 bpf
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      3 Aug  9 02:49 bpf0 -> bpf
# rm bpf*
# ./MAKEDEV bpf
# ls -l b*
crw-------  1 root  wheel  18, 0 Aug  9 02:51 bpf
lrwx------  1 root  wheel      3 Aug  9 02:51 bpf0 -> bpf

You can see from the above that major & minor device numbers need to
be switched.  I will fix this in the installation scripts shortly, but
you should expect to fix this manually until I post to the mailing
list stating that this has been corrected.

With the help of Andreas & Claudio Leiva, we will be continuing to
make the daily builds of 4.0_BETA2 available up to the release of 4.0.
 If you have time & hardware availability, please help make NetBSD 4.0
for Cobalt a solid release.

Jim