Subject: Re: qube 2 psu adapter
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel C. Sinclair <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/07/2007 17:14:33
On 7/6/07, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I just got another qube, but it hasn't got a psu. I tried to measure
> the voltage of my other psu on my multimeter but I struggled to fit
> the probes on the oins without shorting things out.

My first Cobalt machine didn't come with a power supply either.  I
bought an HP F1044B laptop power supply off eBay (as described at
http://www.shon.org/qube/#PS) and ordered the proper Kycon KPPX-3P
connector from Mouser Electronics (http://www.mouser.com/).  I
couldn't figure out how to wire it (didn't have another PS to look at)
so I asked on this list to see what the polarity should be.  I got the
following helpful responses:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2004/11/06/0017.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2004/11/06/0020.html

> Anyone know the pinouts for the adapter? It's a 3 pronged plug but
> I'm guessing only 2 pins are used?

Here is a link to Kycon's pin-out diagram:

http://www.kycon.com/Pub_Eng_Draw/KPPX-3P.pdf

The Qube2 needs 12V DC at 3.3A.  Pin 1 is positive, pin 2 is ground,
and the smaller pin 3 is not connected.  I haven't actually measured,
but I'm pretty sure it takes around 30 W to run, depending on your
harddrive and PCI card.

Daniel