Subject: Re: possible fan for Qube 2
To: Brian <brian-list@comcast.net>
From: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/23/2007 14:49:58
Tried a couple of fans here, the current one I have is even louder
than the stock one, although it was much quieter when installed 2
months ago.

I think the folks saying the fan grill is part of the problem are
right. I know removing it would help, however I'm a bit reluctant to
mutilate my qube.

One soloution is getting one of those pci coolers (I'm not using my
pci slot atm)

--- Brian <brian-list@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2007, at 8:14 PM, Frithjof Kurtz wrote:
>
> > Brian wrote:
> >> Hi; it's warm in summer here and I like to keep the fan
> >> "installed" on the Qube 2; but the stock one is doesn't get any
>
> >> quieter.
> >> There are a couple web pages with suggestions for Pabst fans etc
>
> >> but they aren't cheap.
> >> I saw this post  from  Debian/MIPS list:
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> > I bought one of the Pabst models. The thing is, it's very silent
>
> > outside the box, _but_ if placed inside the qube, it get's quite
>
> > noisy. I think the culprit is the design of the fan grill.
> >
> > Frithjof
> >

> Thanks for the reply.  That's about the same comment that someone
> made in the thread I linked; the 14Db fan would be even quieter
> once
> installed if they drilled out parts of the "grill".
>
> I'll try as-is, and if need be I'll get the good drill bits out.
> Either way I think it will be quieter!
>
> Brian

Glyn Astill

now.