Subject: NetSNMP problems
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/29/2007 16:18:35
Hi People,

I'm trying to setup net-snmp on my qube and I'm having problems. To
be honest I don't even think I'm starting it properly, so it might be
a simple soloution.

I did write a big detailed post about exactly what I did, but it
never appeared on the mailing list, quite annoying as the test I sent
the next day appeared fine. Anyway here goes (I may have fogotten
something since I did it all):

I've done a make install and all seems well there, then I followed
the instructions on the end of make install and did:

cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/snmptrapd /etc/rc.d/snmptrapd
chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/snmptrapd

cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/snmpd /etc/rc.d/snmpd
chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/snmpd

I took a look in the snmpd and snmptrapd files and thinks seem to
point to the correct locations, then restarted the machine. I didn't
see snmpd in top, but should I?

Then I did /usr/pkg/bin/snmpconf -g basic_setup to create the
snmpd.conf file which I put in /usr/pkg/etc

Below is the contents of the conf file after following the setup:

syslocation  qube
syscontact  info@lorddef.net
sysservices 77
rocommunity  community 127.0.0.1

If I do "snmpwalk -Os -c community -V 1 127.0.0.1 system" from the
command I get:

"NET-SNMP version: 5.3.1"

Does this in any way mean net-snmp is working?

What I'm trying to do is set up mrtg to retreive information from
snmp. But when I do the following:

mrtgcfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /usr/pkg/share/httpd/htdocs/mrtg' \
--global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' \
--output /usr/pkg/etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg \
community@127.0.0.1

I get: