Subject: current kernel-- config issues
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: None <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/23/2007 19:57:09
Hi;

I'm trying to get the -current kernel built so I can give the latest userland a try;

However I'm unable to get even the minimal kernel to config.  It looks like it was last modified middle Nov 2006.

I'm using -current userland from July 2005, from the latest install CD from netbsd.org.  I don't see a pkgsrc tool bundle which will update the config app itself...

Thanks for comments.  I'm sure it's my fault somehow.  I haven't edited this particualt INSTALL kernel, although I did first try adding the USB support pieces to a copy of it (with the same errors-- and I get the same errors with GENERIC).

I haven't done this for a while, but I've made this all work before...

------------
qube# ls
CVS/            GENERIC         INSTALL         files.cobalt    majors.cobalt   std.cobalt
qube# less INSTALL
qube# config INSTALL
../../../../conf/files:5: syntax error
../../../../conf/files:168: syntax error
../../../../ipkdb/files.ipkdb:5: syntax error
../../../../miscfs/procfs/files.procfs:3: syntax error
*** Stop.
qube# pwd
/usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/conf
qube# which config
/usr/bin/config
-------------

also, while I'm here, is this all I need to add to get USB support going?  I have a NEC chipset USB card installed.
Strangely, running adjustkernel with this in place comments it all out :/
I'm following instructions I found for adding USB to 3.0.
--------
#####added 022307

options SOSEND_NO_LOAN
# USB Controller and Devices
options         USBVERBOSE      # verbose USB device autoconfig messages

# PCI USB controllers
# The EHCI is not ready for prime time.
#ehci*  at pci? dev ? function ?        # Enhanced Host Controller
ohci*   at pci? dev ? function ?        # Open Host Controller
uhci*   at pci? dev ? function ?        # Universal Host Controller (Intel)

# CardBus USB controllers
#ehci*  at cardbus? dev ? function ?    # Enhanced Host Controller
#ohci*  at cardbus? dev ? function ?    # Open Host Controller

# USB bus support
#usb*   at ehci?
usb*    at ohci?
usb*    at uhci?

# USB Hubs
uhub*   at usb?
uhub*   at uhub? port ? configuration ? interface ?

# USB Generic driver
ugen*   at uhub? port ?

# USB Mass Storage
umass*  at uhub? port ? configuration ? interface ?
scsibus* at umass?

####end added022307
---------------------

And adding to majors:
-----
device-major  usb    char 55      usb
device-major  uhid    char 56      uhid
device-major  ulpt    char 57      ulpt
device-major  ugen    char 64      ugen
device-major  ucom    char 66      ucom
device-major  urio    char 70      urio
device-major  uscanner  char 75      uscanner
------

Thanks in advance for the education.

Brian