Subject: Re: Problem with "sync" in NetBSD-current...
To: None <>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Fr=F6hlich?= <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/14/2007 15:52:08
Hi Robert,

On Feb 14, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Robert P. Thille wrote:

> Peter Fr=F6hlich wrote:
>> I ended up putting "-mips4" as a GCC option into and at =20
>> least as of right now the build is still progressing happily =20
>> (takes forever though :-). Not sure whether it will actually =20
>> *work* once it's done building of course, but at least I now have =20
>> a chance to try it out. Any comments/advice anyone might still =20
>> have about this whole MIPS I vs. MIPS 4 issue for NetBSD/cobalt =20
>> would be very much appreciated. :-)
> When you initially had the error, how did you initiate the build?  =20
> Did you use or just set stuff up manually and invoke =20
> make?  I haven't built natively (takes too long) in a long time, =20
> but I don't remember having trouble building -current on my RaQ2+ =20
> with

I used, and I ran these (in sequence, after I a fresh cvs =20

   ./ -u -U tools
   ./ -T tooldir.NetBSD-3.0-mipsel -u -U kernel=3DGENERIC
   ./ -T tooldir.NetBSD-3.0-mipsel -u -U build

The first two worked fine, the last one failed (first for the MLINKS =20
issue that was fixed right away, then for the sync and -mips1 stuff).

Now that I switched to -mips4 the build failed again because I was =20
trying to link -mips1 object files (32 bit) with -mips4 object files =20
(64 bit). :-/

So right now I am doing a "make clean" to get rid of all the old =20
object files and I plan to start a fresh build after that's done. =20
Anyone know whether a -mips4 build (64 bit) will actually *work* for =20
NetBSD-current? If not, I guess I should use -mips2 instead. Can't =20
really figure out whether there's any need for "explicit 64 bit =20
support," certainly seems to be needed for AMD stuff, but since MIPS =20
was 64 bit a long time ago, maybe it's not as big a deal? Sorry, no =20
experience with the low-level details of NetBSD. :-/

Peter H. Froehlich <><><><><><>