Subject: Re: Problem with "sync" in NetBSD-current...
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Fr=F6hlich?= <phf@cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/14/2007 10:15:30
Another brief follow up:

On Feb 13, 2007, at 5:10 PM, Peter Froehlich wrote:

>> So I *assume* that there should be some kind of conditional
>> compilation happening here to avoid sending these out for MIPS I?
>> On the other hand, why the heck do I need to compile for MIPS I if
>> I am running NetBSD on a Qube 2 that implements MIPS IV (of which
>> "sync" is certainly part)? Is there a simple way to tell the build
>> system to compile for MIPS IV instead? Shouldn't that be happening
>> for the cobalt port anyway?
>
> In sys/arch/mips/include/lock.h there actually is an #ifdef
> regarding MIPS I but for some reason it doesn't seem to "fire" when
> compiling NetBSD-current for the Qube. So there's still something a
> little inconsistent happening here, probably inside the mega-
> confusing (for me) makefiles... :-/ I'd like to either make that
> #ifdef kick in or (preferably) build for MIPS II+ and not MIPS I. A
> hint for doing either would be very much appreciated. :-)

I ended up putting "-mips4" as a GCC option into sys.mk and at least
as of right now the build is still progressing happily (takes forever
though :-). Not sure whether it will actually *work* once it's done
building of course, but at least I now have a chance to try it out.
Any comments/advice anyone might still have about this whole MIPS I
vs. MIPS 4 issue for NetBSD/cobalt would be very much appreciated. :-)

Cheers,
Peter
--
Peter H. Froehlich <><><><><><> http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~phf/