Subject: Re: System load?
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/14/2006 07:39:19
On Dec 14, 2006, at 5:19 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:

> I used the 3.99.17 restore CD, if I compile a new kernel and it turns
> out to be a lemon, how do I get back onto the old one?

Simply, don't delete the old one! :)

You do have a serial cable so you can get to the console directly,
right?  If it won't boot after you put the new one in, then you use
the console to rename the old one and put it back in place.

Check out the part in this how-to about building the kernel (in the
middle somewhere).
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating

Also for a little more info on things you can do you can use Andreas'
guide (for 1.6.1, so some steps you do NOT want to do:  don't run
the .diff for example :)
http://www.aironaut.ch/content/view/18/53/  and look for the stuff
after the
- to compile your own kernel get the src tarball from

part.  I would use it mostly as a guide of how things work.

Now as for the system load issue, I kind of lost track of that thread
in the 3.1 stuff as I never ran that build, but I thought that the
"options SOSEND_NO_LOAN
" fix has been in -current for ages by default, and your 3.99.17
build was from -current, so I think you should be OK with that
particular bug.

Just scrolling back up and I saw Tsutsui-san's post from Dec 8.  I am
fairly sure that the March 2006 3.99.17 will not need kernel
recompile simply for this issue.

If someone has definitively stated otherwise then I have missed it
and would welcome correction.   And I have a kernel to build
(actually I'm using 3.99.7 myself so I should be updating anyway
sometime).

Brian