Subject: Re: System load?
To: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
From: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/14/2006 10:19:04
Now I'm even more confused. What the hell is userland.

Am I right in thinking I just need to get hold of the 4.0 branch
source and compile it, then rename the kernel image?

I used the 3.99.17 restore CD, if I compile a new kernel and it turns
out to be a lemon, how do I get back onto the old one?

Also it'd be handy if someone could post the parameters they used on
their Qube and what they mean.

Cheers
Glyn

--- Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>     cylinders: 119150
> >>     total sectors: 120103200
> >>     rpm: 3600
> >>     interleave: 1
> >>     trackskew: 0
> >>     cylinderskew: 0
> >>     headswitch: 0           # microseconds
> >>     track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
> >>     drivedata: 0
> >>
> >>     8 partitions:
> >>     #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
> >>     a: 118993074   1110126     4.2BSD   2048 16384 28608  #
> (Cyl.
> >> 1101*- 119149)
> >>     b:   1048576     61550       swap                     #
> (Cyl.
> >>     61*-   1101*)
> >>     c: 120041650     61550     unused      0     0        #
> (Cyl.
> >>     61*- 119149)
> >>     d: 120103200         0     unused      0     0        #
> (Cyl.      0
> >>     - 119149)
> >>     e:     61487        63 Linux Ext2      0     0        #
> (Cyl.
> >>     0*-     61*)
> >>     f: 120041650     61550     unused      0     0        #
> (Cyl.
> >>     61*- 119149)
> >>
> >>     Linux partition is /dev/wd0e, so let's mount it:
> >>
> >>     # mount -t ext2fs /dev/wd0e /mnt
> >>     # ls -l /mnt/boot
> >>     total 104
> >>     -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22470 Sep 19  2005 boot.gz
> >>     -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  27838 Jul 12  2004 boot.old.gz
> >>     -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22473 Sep 19  2005 vmlinux.gz
> >>     -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  27838 Jul 12  2004 vmlinux.old.gz
> >>
> >>     I'm not remembering at this point if it's vmlinux.gz or
> boot.gz that
> >>     is being read by the Cobalt firmware... I believe it's
> vmlinux.gz.
> >> The
> >>     point is, if it's this small (22k or so), then it's really
> just the
> >>     NetBSD bootloader, and this is good news. What it means is,
> you can
> >>     just change the NetBSD kernel in / at your own whim to try
> different
> >>     kernels.
> >>
> >>     Meaning:
> >>
> >>     1. compile a new kernel
> >>     2. cp /netbsd /netbsd.old
> >>     3. cp newkernel /netbsd
> >>     4. reboot
> >>
> >>     It's not very likely that you will render the machine
> unbootable, I
> >>     haven't had that problem in quite a long time now. The main
> thing to
> >>     remember is, you can change the kernels all you want. But
> once you
> >>     start upgrading userland utilities to match that kernel, you
> can't
> >>     then go backwards back to your old kernel.
> >>
> >>     My best advice is:
> >>
> >>     Find a newer kernel that is newer than your current
> userland. I'm not
> >>     sure if 3.1 is, anyone? If so, you can get it here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.1/cobalt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz

<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.1/cobalt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz>

> >>     Then put that one in place and try it. If this one is not
> newer than
> >>     your userland, then you'll have to grab either the release-4
> or
> >>     current source and compile a kernel. The NetBSD guide has
> rather good
> >>     instructions on doing this. But maybe we can help.
> >>
> >>     Andy

Glyn Astill

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html