Subject: Re: System load?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Erik Berls <cyber@ono-sendai.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/09/2006 09:39:44
------=_Part_101396_16734057.1165685984321

On 12/9/06, Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/9/06, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm using version 3.99.17 from the net boot cd, do I still have to do
> > this?
> >
> > If so a little extra instruction would be helpfull as the closest
> > thing I have done to this is recompiling a slackware kernel with make
> > bzimage.
>
> It's not as simple as that, and not as simple as other machines either
> unfortunately...
>
> Hmm. First you need the source for that level. Do you happen to have
> it? If not, does someone know where to get it?
>
> The other thing you can do is just grab source from a higher level
> kernel and build from it since backwards compatibility won't be a
> problem.

3.99.17/19 is about half a year old.  At this point, my recommendation is to
try to use a NetBSD-4 branch kernel (one is available from releng.netbsd.org)
which will already have the option.  That will at least tell you if the
kernel will work.

Try things out in single user mode, without deleting anything already on
your system.  (ie: boot single user mode, add nat/filter rules, run a test)

-=erik.

Very basically, get the syssrc.tgz package, and put it in / and untar