Subject: Re: poffd problem (it gets worse)
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
From: None <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/13/2006 14:04:20
From: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
> Hi Brian,
>
> What I fail to understand is the install I did back in July /August
> 06 worked fine no probs, and it wasn't a fluke, I screwed up that
> install about 3 times and re-installed and every time the pannel
> worked.
>
> The pannel works after install no matter how many times the qube is
> rebooted, untill I change something, then it still works during boot
> but dies befor it displays the ip and machine name.
>
> I know it's not super usefull, but I'm a bit picky about stuff like
> this, I want everything to be spot on.

Well, I think the thing to do then it to revert to the backup copies of the config files you changes (if you have them) then change them one at a time and see what is causing the problem.

If you don't have them, then a restore from the NEtBSD April 3.99 install CD, and then change the files (again, one by one, with a reboot each time).

There are a few things you haven't answered, such as:

What are the entries you are providing for each of the config file changes (what edits are you making)?  If you show what you are doing to each file, people who know NetBSD can help you find errors in your configs.  Without content, there's nothing to help with).

Does poffd show up as an active process (now, on the non-LCD-capable install)?
Does the poffd show up as an active process on first real bootup, or scroll past on the LCD as bootup occurs, on the initial install?  As someone else said, poofd looks like it is usually present on 68k systems; I assume that Dennis put it on there for a reason, I am guess so that paneld works properly, but I have no idea- and it isn't present on my system.

My guess is that something you are asking the LCD to display is too long or misconfigured etc. and it gives up.  There should be a process or two associated with the LCD display and the paneld, if it's all still running, so output of a ps -ax would be helpful.

I'm sure once you post some actual data about what you are doing and the state of the system, people will have ideas.