Subject: Re: NetBSD/cobalt 3.0.1 - results of a short trial
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/25/2006 21:44:29
Brian McEwen wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2006, at 4:09 AM, Rowdy wrote:
>

>> So to anyone contemplating running 3.0.1 on a Qube 2 (or similar), you
>> should expect pretty much the same problems as with 3.0.
>>
>> Rowdy

<snip>

> Tsutsui-san posted June 2006 of setting some options (NOLOAN) in the
> kernel to help with crashes and slow transfers, on the list from  June
> 15 2006

<snip>

Thanx for the pointer, I must have missed that one somehow.

I added "options SOSEND_NO_LOAN" to the GENERIC kernel, recompiled,
installed, rebooted, and retried the file copies from the Qube to
another machine.

It worked! :-)

I managed to copy about 1G off the Qube 2 averaging around 2.5MB/s (on a
100Mbps LAN).  Coying TO the Qube is still rather slow, around 850 to
900KB/s (although ftpd was using around 98% CPU).  Mounting a FreeBSD
export on the Qube and doing a cp of a 150M file transferred to the Qube
at around 1.2MB/s - somewhat better.

Rowdy