Subject: Re: NetBSD/cobalt 3.0.1 - results of a short trial
To: list Cobalt NetBSD <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/20/2006 06:26:36
On Aug 20, 2006, at 4:09 AM, Rowdy wrote:

> So to anyone contemplating running 3.0.1 on a Qube 2 (or similar), you
> should expect pretty much the same problems as with 3.0.
>
> Rowdy

So the fixes we have going around within the list may not be in the
3.0.1 binaries yet?

For what it's worth, as a summary: my present install is from an
install CD built July 2005, the box gets used as a fileserver, and I
have no crashes.  I've not tested transfer rates though.

RestoreCD-COBALT-20-20050703-181453.iso.gz

NetBSD 3.99.7 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Jul  3 11:00:03 CEST 2005
root@netbsd20.diskless.s-zone.org:/Data/NetBSD/cobalt/obj/sys/arch/
cobalt/compile/GENERIC

it was built by Andreas Schaefer and he made it available per a post
here Jul 2005.  This was a -current kernel and userland built on July
03 2005; as 3.0.1 came out Dec 23 2005, 3.0.1 should have "stuff
fixed" that may not be in my snapshot but if I'm running great and
3.0.1 has problems I like the earlier one :)

It's been rock solid here; I've updated pkgsrc a few times but built
very little so I'm not sure if there are creeping issues or not re:
building new pkgs.

Tsutsui-san posted June 2006 of setting some options (NOLOAN) in the
kernel to help with crashes and slow transfers, on the list from
June 15 2006

I've been meaning to try this but really I'm not having problems so
archived it but haven't messed with it yet.

If someone has comments on what I am running (is there a better
install image or snapshot to use?) that would be great; I kind of
figure this out as I go along, and with the box running stably I
don't pay as much attention to releases from the main site as I
should (again, since what we find from users here seems to be great/
better).

thanks,

Brian