Subject: NetBSD/cobalt 3.0.1 - results of a short trial
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/20/2006 18:09:19
Greetings,

I tried a binary update from 3.0 to 3.0.1 on my Qube 2, mainly to see
whether there were any improvements to network performance and
stability.  Nothing about cobalt is noted in the change log for 3.0.1,
but I went ahead and updated anyway.

The binary update (from the 3.0.1 cobalt ISO) went smoothly, and before
update the Qube was running a 3.0 custom kernel:

NetBSD cobalt 3.0 NetBSD 3.0 (COBALT2) #0: Sat Jan  7 20:39:36 UTC 2006
 root@cobalt:/usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/compile/COBALT2 cobalt

After reboot the Qube was running the 3.0.1 GENERIC kernel:

NetBSD cobalt 3.0.1 NetBSD 3.0.1 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Jul 13 21:27:20 UTC
2006
builds@b3.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-1-RELEASE/cobalt/200607131826Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-1-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/cobalt/compile/GENERIC
cobalt

Unfortunately network performance was still poor (transferring around
800M in 4 files TO the Qube via FTP copied at around 920KB/s,
transferring the same FROM the Qube via FTP copied at around 2.2KB/s).
Yes, I know that is not a proper test, however it is my typical usage
(for a Qube acting as a file server) and gives a reasonable indication
of the performance to be expected.

Regrettably the Qube crashed again while copying files FROM the Qube,
the same error as before:

trap: TLB miss (load or instr. fetch) in kernel mode
status=0x2403, cause=0x8808, ...

So to anyone contemplating running 3.0.1 on a Qube 2 (or similar), you
should expect pretty much the same problems as with 3.0.

Rowdy