Subject: Re: Setting up root. ..
To: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
From: Evgueni Tzvetanov <attroppa@yahoo.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/11/2006 16:12:26
--- Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> Evgueni Tzvetanov wrote:
> > Pierre-Philipp Braun,
> >
> > My suggestion -- get 2.1 or 3.0. The 1.6.1 install
> Cd
> > is not as good as for 2.0, 2.1 or  3.0. I am
> > personally running 2.1, after being through 1.6.1
> and
> > 2.0.
> >
> > I have not installed 3.0 or later, but I think
> there
> > is enough material in this forum to check if all
> is
> > well.
> >
> > Why do you want to install such an old thing
> anyway?
> >
> > Regards!
> > ET
>
> The use of 3.0 is not recommended on the Qube.
> There are some issues
> with the restore CD that require manual
> configuration of the network
> interface (thus requiring a serial connection to the
> Qube), and
> stability issues with network drivers.
>
> No-one has really commented on 2.1.
>
> NetBSD-current probably contains the numerous
> patches implemented by
> Tsutsui-san, greatly improving stability and
> performance.
>
> Rowdy

Well... If no one commented anything about 2.1, I can
say for sure that it works great for me. I use it as a
home server/router. It is doing a great job. Of course
I had some usual struggle in the beginning, but it is
normal. I did not know very well the Qube 2 as a
system. It was my first MIPS device with this
configuration and for this purpose.

I run a web server on it and it is working as a file
server (SFTP). Never failed me so far. Now if someone
wants to use it for other purposes it is up to them to
soup it up accordingly.

I notices just one thing... No mater what settings I
try to change, while compiling the kernel or network
settings, I could not squeeze more than 450 kbytes/sec
as speed. I connect to it from Linux (Slackware),
NetBSD (PC and virtual), W2K and WXP and the result is
the same. I could reach speeds of 11-12 MBytes/sec (as
expected) between Linux and NetBSD (PC). I have also
speed issues with Windows not utilizing the speed of
the network card, but couldn't do much to make it go
over 3.5 mbytes/sec.

Cheers