Subject: Re: Upgrading Qube2 3.99CD?
To: John Margaritis <john.margaritis@gmail.com>
From: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/06/2006 21:56:38
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, I've only just acquired the qube and I
want to get the basics up and running pretty quick.

I've done the install with the 3.99 CD and all seemed to go okay, so
now I've just got to set it all up. I really didn't have too much
time to look at it after I did the install but I did rlogin and do
"man afterinstall" but it said no manual was found.

I've found a few guides etc around (I'm not being lazy honest!) but
if people could post their links to any reading material they have
I'd appreciate it. I don't intend it do go under any heavy load but
what I really want to do it stick apache,php&mysql on it and also
samba. If poss a mail server too (can I use xmail?).

Is there anything I can do to get the lcd to do more than display the
IP of eth0? Getting the buttons going would be nice; I'm prepared to
be quite adventurous here.

Any other web based management utils out there?

Cheers
Glyn
--- John Margaritis <john.margaritis@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I read somewhere that webmin causes the Qube to almost grind to a
> > halt. Would anyone here care to comment on this?
>
> 'Twas I, 'Twas I Pete.
>
> I didn't have much RAM in it then (only 16 MB), but the Qube was
> choking big
> time when the webmin server was running.  It's a pig!  I even
> loaded the
> 'minimal' version and it was still bad.  Even if you plan to max
> out your
> Qube to 256 MB of RAM, I still wouldn't recommend installing Webmin
> on it...
>

> ...especially if you want to load a different theme (skin) that
> won't
> entirely disgrace your eyes (the default Webmin GUI looks like
> poo).  Put
> webmin on a P3 Linux server or something similar, but forget about
> it on the
> Qube2.
>
> Also Glyn, Webmin was designed primarily for Linux and though it
> does its
> best to guess NetBSD file/directory resources, it's just not that
> good at
> it.  I'm sure this is fixable with command-line edits of the
> appropriate
> Webmin config files, but I don't see much point.  The author says
> it works
> best on Red Hat Linux and Sun OS.
>
> Because I'm a UNIX newbie, I installed Webmin right after fresh
> install of
> NetBSD 2.0 (a while back) out of fear that I wouldn't be able to do
> anything
> on my server without a GUI, but... it turns out after learning
> mostly from
> Pete's Terraqube website (and, of course, from the folks on the
> NetBSD
> cobalt list) that NetBSD's command line really isn't too bad.  I
> would never
> consider putting the Qube through such terrible horrors ever, ever
> again; I
> even promised it I wouldn't.
>
> Check this out... a Mac mini 'server' with Webmin:
> http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=29
>
> This article cautions against keeping the Webmin server running
> unless you
> have 1 GB of RAM!!  And keep in mind that's on a G4 Mac; technology
> that is
> seven years newer and with ~ 6 X the cpu frequency of the Qube2
> (250 MHz).
>
> Webmin is very resource hungry, if you do go through with this,
> have
> patience and go strong friend, go strong.
>

> John
>

> On 8/5/06, Pete Rushmere <pete@rushmere.org> wrote:
> >
> > At 19:57 04/08/2006, Justin Newcomer wrote:
> >
> > >However, there are web interfaces for configuring a server, such
> as
> > >webmin, which can be installed if you install from the 3.99
> restore
> > >cd.
> >
> > Hi,

> [...]

"My Verdict: The new Yahoo! Mail is far superior..."  – The Wall Street Journal.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html