Subject: Re: wireless for Qube2- easy solution
To: bmcewen@comcast.net <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/11/2006 14:43:27
On 7/11/06, bmcewen@comcast.net <bmcewen@comcast.net> wrote:
> >From: "Andy Ruhl" <acruhl@gmail.com>
> > I considered this piece of gear. The only thing that troubles me is
> > that it doesn't have a big external antenna.
> >

> 200m (with some bandwidth loss of course) spec on it; I've not tested it for distance as I did my first WAP (so blase now!), but I should do that, it would be good to know.  I know I do just fine in my basement with this, talking to the WAP 2 stories up... so it has some push. I'll try to give it a try tonight if it's not thunderstorming.

I don't have a very long distance, maybe only 30 yards, but my laptop
picks up signal big time the closer I get. Don't know why.

> Power over USB or power over A/C yes; power over ethernet... hmm... not on this model anyway.

Maybe that was another device I was looking at...

 > My current solution will probably be a "gaming adapter", which is
> > usually a glorified wireless bridge with an external antenna. They can
> > be had on auction for somewhere around $35 shipped if you're patient.
> >

> I looked for those too, new they are still kinda spendy in comparison I think. I have to admit to real-world use of all 3 modes of this little matchbox :)

They're not spendy on the used market. As with a lot of game equipment
and accessories, they seem to go out of fashion quickly, or whatever
forces there are that cause it. And I think your average wireless
networker doesn't realize that a game adapter is really just a
glorified bridge.

Maybe I'll pick up one of these little D-Link things since I'd
probably want to have one anyway for when I travel. As a backup
wireless device.

Andy