Subject: Re: wireless for Qube2- easy solution
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: None <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/11/2006 17:34:47
>From: "Andy Ruhl" <acruhl@gmail.com>
> I considered this piece of gear. The only thing that troubles me is
> that it doesn't have a big external antenna.

200m (with some bandwidth loss of course) spec on it; I've not tested it for distance as I did my first WAP (so blase now!), but I should do that, it would be good to know.  I know I do just fine in my basement with this, talking to the WAP 2 stories up... so it has some push. I'll try to give it a try tonight if it's not thunderstorming.

> Since my only goal is to bridge my server over to the wireless router,
> I don't need the extra features that this little guy has, although I
> do admit that this would be really nice to have in my "toolbox" along
> with a bunch of USB devices I use to get machines to do what I want.
> The fact that it can be powered over USB or power over ethernet is a
> plus.

Power over USB or power over A/C yes; power over ethernet... hmm... not on this model anyway.

> My current solution will probably be a "gaming adapter", which is
> usually a glorified wireless bridge with an external antenna. They can
> be had on auction for somewhere around $35 shipped if you're patient.

I looked for those too, new they are still kinda spendy in comparison I think. I have to admit to real-world use of all 3 modes of this little matchbox :)