Subject: Re: wireless for Qube2- easy solution
To: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/11/2006 09:16:05
On 7/11/06, Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I found a neat hardware solution to add wireless to my Qube2 cheaply
> without taking up my card slot.
>
> The Dlink DWL-G730AP is a matchbook-sized tri-mode wireless AP; one
> mode is client.  Hook it to the RJ45 on the Qube, you have wireless,
> the Qube doesn't know it from a cable so no fussing with supported
> wireless cards/chipsets/etc.
>
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346
>
> You can find it for $30 after rebate in the USA. Dlink, when asked,
> said it would be find to leave it on 24/7, it shouldn't have heat
> death issues or anything.  I've not tested this yet :)
>
> This isn't that novel an idea but for a tiny device it's pretty
> capable.  Did I mention matchbook?? That's really the size.  This is
> a useful gadget to have around regardless, if you fiddle with
> computers (as for some reason I think we all tend to do).

I've been looking into the same thing, sort of. Not actually related
the Qube, but it is NetBSD.

My NetBSD server is currently connected to an 802.11b access point,
which is working in bridge mode to my 802.11g router. I'm finding that
I have some need to transfer data quicky over wireless, and 802.11b
isn't cutting it.

I considered this piece of gear. The only thing that troubles me is
that it doesn't have a big external antenna.

Since my only goal is to bridge my server over to the wireless router,
I don't need the extra features that this little guy has, although I
do admit that this would be really nice to have in my "toolbox" along
with a bunch of USB devices I use to get machines to do what I want.
The fact that it can be powered over USB or power over ethernet is a
plus.

My current solution will probably be a "gaming adapter", which is
usually a glorified wireless bridge with an external antenna. They can
be had on auction for somewhere around $35 shipped if you're patient.

Andy