Subject: Restore CD suggestions
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Boschma <marc@boschma.cx>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/14/2006 20:09:57
I have been trying to get NetBSD onto a 2700 Qube for the last few
days. I downloaded the latest Restore CD and while I was able to get
the Qube to netboot, the kernel wouldn't take (having open the Qube
and found only one SIMM/DIMM card it might be a lack of memory).

I have been using the Restore CD to install by moving the hard disk
to a PC (no room on the PC for netbsd and not my PC anyway). I have
three suggestions for the Restore CD

1. change the install scripts so that they work from within /nfsroot
or not. eg. in /nfsroot put a symlink nfsroot -> . and change the
scripts to run within /nfsroot (eg add /nfsroot to absolute paths etc).

2. have i386 versions of the e2fsprogs package on the CD to allow for
mkfs-ing a ext2fs partition. I managed to download this to /var ram
disk, but it would be nice to be on the CD

3. have the i386 kernel support ext2fs so the install script can
mount the wd0e partition... (I can't build a kernel to do that -
unless someone knows how to do it under Mac OS X intel?)

A new version of the Restore CD with these changes would allow the
disk to be used for both netboot and PC based harddisk install for
the Qube.

Regards,

Marc